OCD Treatment with TMS at STW Center
- Obsessive anxiety inducing thoughts and compulsive actions can be diagnostic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
- Compulsive behavior is rooted in the reward mechanisms of the brain. The area associated with this is the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC).
- It’s surmised that stimulation of this area will inhibit repetitive reward pathways ceasing repetitive, compulsive behavior.
- TMS as an adjunct therapy for OCD patients is FDA approved 2 years ago. MagventureTMS system has developed a FDA approved TMS coil for treatment of OCD.
- Our STW Center has been using the Magventure system for treatment of OCD in conjunction with psychotherapy and medications. Treatment success rates have been over 40-50 %. Addition of TMS for OCD has raised new hopes for patients suffering form treatment resistant OCD.